The City of Apple Valley is proposing to ban lawful carry on city property – including city park facilities and property.
You can read Apple Valley’s proposed ordinance at this link on the city’s website. Their proposed ordinance bans all possession of firearms, shotguns, rifles, pistols, and revolvers without a special permit issued by the City Council.
This proposed ordinance is prohibited under Minnesota statutes – specifically 471.633 which is Minnesota’s preemption law on firearms regulations – and 624.714 which expressly prohibits cities like Apple Valley from limiting the exercise of a Permit to Carry.
We have advised the city of the issues with their ordinance and they are determined to move forward at the City Council meeting on April 14th at 7:00 pm. We need to stop this ordinance in its tracks before it is passed into law.
TAKE ACTION TODAY TO STOP THIS RIDICULOUS AND ILLEGAL ORDINANCE:
- Email the Mayor & City Council at firstname.lastname@example.org – tell them you’re opposed to their ordinance and their attempt to ban lawful carry on city property.
- Be sure to outline your connection to the city (resident, you work there, you visit/shop there, you goto their parks, etc)
- As always, be polite, but firm.
- Then send a copy of your message using their Council Contact form at the City’s website.
- Call the City of Apple Valley at 952-953-2500 and politely reiterate your message to the receptionist.
- Then, if you’re able, come and show your support at the City Council Meeting on Thursday, April 14th:
- 5:30pm – 7:00pm: Informal City Council Meeting – where the council may discuss the ordinance
- 7:00pm – ???: City Council Meeting – where the ordinance will be discussed and voted upon
- City Hall: 7100 147th Street W, Apple Valley, MN 55124
- Wear MN Gun Owners Caucus shirts if you have available
IF YOU ARE A RESIDENT OF APPLE VALLEY
- We’d love for you to attend and testify against the ordinance in front of the city council
- Come to the meeting above on Thursday, April 14th and come up to the podium when the council asks for public testimony
We’ll be there in force to stop this nonsense. We hope you can join us.