We are heavily involved in the political process leading up to an election – both directly through the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus, and through our connected political fund, the Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee.
Some of our activities include:
- Helping to recruit pro-Second Amendment candidates to run for public office
- Evaluating and grading candidates
- Creating an annual legislative scorecard so that our supporters can more easily understand how their elected representatives performed for the Second Amendment during the session
- Training caucus attendees and delegates on the political process
- Endorsing candidates for office that align with our organization’s legislative priorities
We do not survey, grade, or endorse candidates for federal office.
Candidate Grades & Endorsements
2022 Election Grades & Endorsements
- 2022 General Election – Governor Grades & Endorsement Decision
- 2022 General Election – Attorney General Grades & Endorsement
- 2022 General Election – State Legislature Grades & Endorsements (Senate + House)
- 2022 Primary Election
- 2020 General Election
- 2018 General Election
Grading & Endorsement Criteria
The Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus grades candidates while our connected political fund, the Minnesota Gun Owners PAC, endorses candidates. The organizations share the same leadership and Board of Directors.
Our grades are based on a number of factors, including a candidate survey that was sent to each candidate, their public record of votes and statements, and grades from like-minded gun rights organizations. All grading recommendations are reviewed and approved by our board.
How a candidate has voted in public office is a critical part of our evaluation process. You can view our Legislative Scorecard to see an incumbent’s votes on any legislation, amendments, or procedural motions that we scored in recent legislative sessions.
The Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee
The Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee (MNGOPAC) is our connected state political fund – and is recognized by the Minnesota Campaign Finance Board as such.
As a political fund, or political action committee, donations to the Minnesota Gun Owners PAC are not tax-deductible.
The Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee typically spends independently in elections in Minnesota (called Independent Expenditures) and endorses candidates that meet our endorsement criteria.