In this case, the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus, along with 3 individual plaintiffs and two national gun rights groups, are suing the State of Minnesota and three county sheriffs to restore the right of adults under 21 years of age to carry loaded, operable arms in public for self-defense and other lawful purposes.
- Case Title: Kristin Worth, Austin Dye, Axel Anderson, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus, Second Amendment Foundation, & Firearms Policy Coalition, Inc. v. John Harrington, Don Lorge, Troy Wolbersen, and Dan Starry.
- Current Court: United States District Court for the District of Minnesota
- Previous Court(s): N/A.
- Case #: 0:21-CV-01348
- Docket: View the case docket by clicking here
- June 8th, 2021: Bearing Arms – 2A groups launch legal challenge to Minnesota carry laws
- June 9th, 2021: Star Tribune – Three young adults, gun groups sue over Minnesota’s 21 age requirement for gun carry permits
- June 9th, 2021: Associated Press – Young adults sue for right to carry guns in Minnesota
- June 9th, 2021: KARE-11 – Three young adults sue for right to carry guns in Minnesota
- June 9th, 2021: WCCO – 3 young adults file federal lawsuit, sue for right to carry guns in Minnesota
- June 15th, 2021: Bemidji Pioneer – 18-year-old sues central Minnesota sheriff as part of a challenge to state’s gun laws
- June 30th, 2021: Mille Lacs Messenger – Milaca woman sues over right to carry a handgun
MINNESOTA GUN OWNERS CAUCUS TIMELINE & ACTIONS
The Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus is a plaintiff in this case.
- June 7th, 2021: Complaint filed in the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota.
- June 25th, 2021: Response filed by the 3 County Sheriffs to the initial complaint
- August 13th, 2021: Response filed by the Minnesota Attorney General’s Office on behalf of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety
- August 23rd, 2021: Scheduling Order
- September 2021: Rule 26(f) Planning Meeting
- September 23rd, 2021:
- October 15th, 2021: Scheduling Order
COUNSEL OF RECORD
The Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus is represented in this case by Blair W. Nelson of Blair W. Nelson, Ltd. in Bemidji and David H. Thompson, Peter A. Patterson, and William V. Bergstrom of Cooper and Kirk PLLC in Washington, DC.
We do not anticipate significant progress in this case until October 2022 – see the current case schedule below.
- 11/30/21: Amended pleadings due
- 11/30/21: Joinder of Parties due
- 4/1/22: Fact discovery to be completed
- 4/1/22: Expert discovery to be completed
- 5/4/22: Non-disputed motions due
- 6/4/22: Disputed motions due
- 10/5/22: Ready for trial
WANT TO SUPPORT OUR LEGAL & LITIGATION EFFORTS?
Our affiliated 501(c)(3), the Minnesota Gun Owners Support Fund, underwrites the majority of our legal action efforts.
You can also support our Support Fund through your purchases on Amazon through the Amazon Smile program. It takes just a few minutes to set up through our easy step-by-step guide.